John F. Cannizzaro
888-357-5346 (Toll Free)
937-642-1371 (Worker's Compensation)
Mr. Cannizzaro began his law practice in Marysville, Ohio in 1980. Today the firm has grown to become the largest law firm in Union County and maintains an AV rating (the highest possible rating) by the Martindale-Hubbell Legal Network.
Mr. Cannizzaro concentrates his practice to the area of consumer bankruptcy law. Mr. Cannizzaro lectures nationally and locally on Bankruptcy law matters. Mr. Cannizzaro is a frequent lecturer at the Southeastern Bankruptcy Law Institute (SBLI) in Atlanta Georgia. The SBLI is the oldest nationally recognized conference of Bankruptcy Law professionals in the United States. Mr. Cannizzaro has also lectured at the National Association of Chapter 13 Trustees (NACTT) conferences in Boston, Dallas, Orlando and San Francisco. Mr. Cannizzaro was Debtor's counsel in the case of First Union Mortgage Corporation vs. Eubanks, 219 B.R. 468, 6th Cir BAP 1998 (In re: Eubanks), which was one of the first appellate court decisions to carve out an exception to the United States Supreme Court decision of Nobelman v. American Savs. Bank, 508 U.S. 324, 331, 113 S. Ct. 2106, 2110, 124 L. Ed. 2d 228 (1993) (In re Nobleman). Mr. Cannizzaro was lead counsel in the appellate case of Storey vs. Pees, 392 BR 266, 6th Cir BAP 2008 (In re Storey).
Mr. Cannizzaro is licensed to practice before the United States Supreme Court, the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals, the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Ohio, the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio and all Ohio State Courts.
Mr. Cannizzaro is a 1971 graduate of the University of Rochester in Rochester, New York, where he earned a Bachelor's Degree in Biology. Mr. Cannizzaro worked as law clerk and bailiff to the Honorable C. Howard Johnson of the Franklin County, Ohio Municipal Court from 1977 to 1980. Mr. Cannizzaro earned his Juris Doctor degree from Capital University School of Law in 1980.
Mr. Cannizzaro is a member of the American Bankruptcy Law Forum (ABLF), National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys (NACBA), American Bar Association, Ohio State Bar Association, Credit Education Coalition (past president) and the Union County Bar Association (past president). Mr. Cannizzaro is a past member of the Ohio Academy of Trial Lawyer's, Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Franklin County Trial Lawyer's Association and Columbus Bar Association. Mr. Cannizzaro serves as chairman of the ECF Rules Committee of the United States Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Ohio.
Areas of Practice
- Consumer Bankruptcy Law
- Ohio, 1980
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Capital University Law School, Columbus, Ohio
- Juris Doctor - 1980
- University of Rochester, Rochester, New York
- Bachelor's Degree - 1971
- Major: Biology
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bankruptcy Law Forum (ABLF), Member
- National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys (NACBA), Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Ohio State Bar Association, Member
- Credit Education Coalition, Past President
- Union County Bar Association, Past President
- Ohio Academy of Trial Lawyer's, Past Member
- American Association for Justice, Past Member
- Franklin County Trial Lawyer's Association, Past Member
- Columbus Bar Association, Past Member
- Southern District of Ohio, Co-Chairman, ECF Committee of the United States Bankruptcy Court
Past Employment Positions
- Hon. C. Howard Johnson of the Franklin County, Ohio Municipal Court, Law Clerk, 1977 - 1980
- Hon. C. Howard Johnson of the Franklin County, Ohio Municipal Court, Bailiff, 1977 - 1980