Skip to Content
Call Us today! 937-403-9033

Can I Pursue a Claim Against an Uninsured Motorist in Ohio?

motorist wreck

In Ohio, drivers are required to obtain insurance for their vehicles.

The state’s minimum requirements are:

  • $25,000 per person injured in one accident
  • $50,000 for all people injured in one accident
  • $25,000 for property damage in one accident

When another person causes a car accident that results in bodily injury or property damage, you might rely on their insurance to cover the expenses you incurred. Unfortunately, around 13% of drivers do not have a policy on their car. So what can you do if you’re involved in an accident with an uninsured motorist?

Carrying Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage

Uninsured/Underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) is an additional type of coverage you can purchase through your insurance company.

UM coverage comes into play when a driver without hits you. You would submit a claim to your insurance company rather than against the at-fault driver. Typically, you can purchase two different types of UM coverage:

  • Bodily injury: Helps cover medical expenses
  • Property damage: Helps cover auto repair costs

UIM coverage is a bit different from UM in that the former kicks in if you are in an accident with a driver whose insurance is not enough to cover your total expenses. For example, say the responsible party carried the state’s minimum bodily injury coverage of $25,000. After getting assessed and treated for your injuries, you have medical bills totaling $35,000. The underinsured motorist’s insurance may cover up to their policyholder’s limit of $25,000, leaving you with $10,000 in expenses. You would then file a claim with your insurance to collect the remaining amount.

To file a UIM claim, your policy limit must be higher than the other driver’s, and you must prove that you have expenses above what the other party’s insurance will cover.

Filing a Claim with Your Insurance

The process for pursuing an insurance claim after you’ve been involved in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver is similar to collisions involving insured motorists. You must provide detailed information about the accident, your injuries, and expenses you incurred to your insurance company, as well as the other driver’s (if they are insured), to recover compensation for damages.

Contact Bridges, Jillisky, Weller & Gullifer, LLC for a Free Initial Consultation

Unfortunately, even though you may be making a claim with your insurance company, it may not offer a settlement that will cover all of your expenses. If this happens, your case might go into arbitration, which means a panel will hear it and decide the result. Our attorneys are committed to guiding you throughout the process. Whether you are pursuing a claim after an accident involving an uninsured or underinsured driver, we will help gather evidence and develop a compelling strategy to seek fair compensation for your losses.

We are ready to provide the compassionate and aggressive legal representation you need. To discuss your case, call us at (937) 403-9033 or contact us online.